PDA

View Full Version : Recap on Points Race#3

Craig Rice
06-15-2014, 10:37 AM
After a weather report showing that there was a 70% chance of showers and with updates from Ron and the crew at NED we were able to get our third points race of the season off with no big problems. The 25 car field made it's first of 2 time trials at the strike of 12 noon. We had a couple of member having their share of problems in the first time trial, Justin Bruso our last race runner-up lost the engine in his street driven 12 second pick-up, Kenny Jackman breaking a driveshaft yoke in his old school Gene' Speed Shop 4 speed 1969 Camaro, and the Wrobel Racing Monza of Ray and Paul Wrobel having some engine problems. At the end of the two time trials it was Dave French driving his "French Connection" 1972 Chevelle taking the #1 qualifying position with a great .006 light. It was great to see some new faces back to join us this race Craig Whittier after being cleared to race by his doctors after having a mild heart attack during the off season, I can say this, I have been racing with Craig for many years and not having him at the first two races we had this season just was not the same, so it is great seeing him back behind the wheel of his LS powered 1974 GTO, another memeber back with us was Jesse Trevoloni driving his 10's street driven Mustang, and Josh Cottone back with his Fairmont "Grandma's" car he basically put together with spare parts he and his dad had lying around the shop, Pete Mastro was also back with his big block powered, stick shifting 1978 Camaro.

As the day went on we had 3 cars left in the semi finals, Chris Shays with his 1969 Camaro who has been on a roll the last couple of race making his way to two semi finals and a third round lost this season, it won't be long until this kid is in the winner circle, this is his first full season of bracket racing and has seemed to pick it up really fast, cutting great lights and running his number. Congrats to Chris on his semi final finish in yesterday's race.

Which brings us to the finals a pair of great family guys and two of the nicest guys in the club Dave French with his 1972 Chevelle and Ray Rice with his 1967 Camaro. Both these guys had been on their games yesterday Dave car was running 10.68 like clock work while Ray's Camaro was hanging the wheels every pass and running just as well in the 10.74 range all day long.

As the two got ready for battle Dave with a 10.67 dial chose the left lane and Ray with a 10.74 dial got the lane he had been running the right lane. Both racers went green Dave had a .036 light to Ray's .092 light and as the two went battling down the 1320 door to door both racers looking at one another at the stripe it was Ray breaking out by .01 running a 10.73 on a 10.74 and Dave running a 10.68 on a 10.67 giving the win for the first time to Dave French.

As I got down to the winner circle to congratulate Dave on his win he was telling me that it was going to take a while for this whole day to set in for him, he was all smiles and it was nice to see a new face in the winner circle. A big congrats goes out to both racers and semi finalists all it all it was a great day at New England Dragway. And a huge thank you goes out to Ron Heath and the crew of NED for getting the track and track prep up to par for the day.

Just a reminder that the next race will be held at New England on July 11-12 a Friday night gamblers race followed by our points race on Saturday. I will have all the details at the meeting June 26th.

Thank you again to Meagan Ackerman and Andrea Adams for helping me yesterday to run the race, and thanks to all of you that came out to race yesterday. See you all at the meeting, beers on Dave!!!!!